BACKGROUND OF ST. MAGDALENE NURSING SCHOOL
The growing desire to meet the needs of the poor and sick led us to consider the possibility of empowering young people to work with us in this ministry, so dear to the heart of Magdalene.
Thanks to our provincial council who identified with us the need of opening a nursing school in Mugana.
The initiation began by preparing a Sister to take up the responsibility as a Nurse Tutor. The sisters went to schools to get more information on how to go about the process. Then we needed to find sponsors and donors who could give some financial support.
And next, procuring the equipment, books for the library, models for instructions etc. Beginnings always tough, but “We choose charity as the norm of life, to risk for love”. In all this we were supported by our community and Provincial council.
The next step was the application for establishment of ordinary Diploma in Nursing which was on 14th Jan 2010.
From where we continued with the preparation of the grounds by falling the trees, after which began the restructuring of old school of home- craft and construction of Administration block, library, computer room, dinning hall, and dormitories to make it suitably equipped for nurses training programme.
Our thanks to all those who made things possible by reaching out and supporting us in so many different ways.
- REGISTRATION STATUS: FULL REGISTERED
- ESTABLISHMENT DATE: 23- MARCH- 2010
- ACCREDITATION STATUS: FULL ACCREDITATION FROM NOVEMBER 2015 UNTIL DECEMBER 2020
- OWNERSHIP: PRIVATE (CANOSSIAN SISTERS)
- REGION KAGERA, DISTRICT MISENYI
- PHONE: +255765528080
- EMAIL: email@example.com
- BASIC TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATE IN COMMUNITY HEALTH (NTA LEVEL 4) – 1 YEAR
- BASIC TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATE IN NURSING (NTA LEVEL 4)
- TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATE IN NURSING (NTA LEVEL 5)
- ORDINARY DIPLOMA IN NURSING (NTA LEVEL 6)
- ORDINARY DIPLOMA IN NURSING IN SERVICE (NTA LEVEL 6) – 2 YEARS (E- LEARNING)
- ORDINARY DIPLOMA IN NURSING UPGRADING (NTA LEVEL 6) – 1 YEAR CL
Vision of the School:
To be a centre of Excellence in Training Multiple Health cadres for the development of human resources for health, who have ethical and spiritual quality to improve health service and social welfare in Tanzania and Beyond.
Mision of the School:
To provide quality, equitable and accessible PRE- SERVICE and IN-SERVICE training of health worker, through well trained and motivated facilitators, for the development of SKILLED and COMPETENT health and social worker.
Objectives of the School:
- To Train the competent staff who will help to reduce the burden which is facing the whole Nation;
- To Develop the opportunities to some of unqualified personnel who are working with us in the hospital and other health facilities in the Nation;
- To Increase the opportunities of employment for the youth who are capable with acceptable criteria and who are willing to do Nursing;
- To Create experience for nurses in handling challenges and opportunities by critical thinking, reflection and creativity.
- To Produce highly educated and adequately trained nurses who are well prepared and equipped with requisite attitudes, knowledge and skill in managing key positions in both public and private hospitals.
- Accreditation Candidacy (2014)
- Self evaluation standard seminar (2015)
- Full accreditation (November 25th 2015)
The achievement of the St. Magdalene Nursing School – Mugana
- The school start in 2010 with 44 students (only girls, including one canossian sisters) for DIPLOMA NURSING, with 4 tutors and 6 school staffs.
- In 2011, the new AY welcome also male students for Diploma in Nursing, the total number of students were 46 with 5 tutors and 6 school staffs.
- In 2012, according to the curriculum of MoH, this course of Nursing divided into two groups. Diploma in Nursing and Certificate in Nursing, depend on the results of science in the Secondary school certificate. There were 5 students for Diploma and 33 students for Certificate.
- In 2013, the first graduation of the first batch, total graduates were 32 female students, including one canossian sister, on 23rd July 2013.
- AY 2014, total students were 46
- 2015: open course for Distance learning, with 4 students.
- 2016: School open another course for community health, the 1st group has 38 students, first year nursing is 51 students, E-learning 12 students.
- In 2016, school got AWARD from USAID cooperate with JHPEIGO for recognition of 1st Good environment in lakezone.
- In 2017, school became center of learning to others school in Tanzania.
- 2018: open new course of one year for upgrading student in Ordinary Diploma in Nursing.